It was a frigid Sunday night in Kansas City. The hometown Chiefs had just trounced the Las Vegas Raiders 31-13 in an exhilarating playoff victory. Three diehard fans — Ricky Johnson, Clayton McGeeney, and David Harrington — headed to their friend Jordan Willis' house to celebrate. They cracked open some beers, turned on the TV, and settled in.
By the next morning, all three men were dead, their frozen bodies discovered in Willis' backyard.
The Gruesome Discovery
On January 9th, Clayton McGeeney's fiancée showed up on Willis' doorstep, worried because she hadn't heard from him. When no one answered, she broke in through a basement window, searching the house and yelling her presence. She stepped out on the back porch and made a horrific discovery — Clayton's lifeless body. Police were called to the scene and soon found Ricky and David dead as well.
On Jan. 9, police say a woman was looking for her fiancé near the 5200 block of NW 83rd Terrace. When there was no answer at the door, the woman broke into the basement and found a body on the back porch. Officers responded to the scene just before 10 p.m. and found two more bodies in the backyard of the Northland home, according to Kansas City police.–From Kansascity.com
Jordan Willis emerged from the house in his boxers, looking unconcerned. He claimed he had no idea his friends' bodies lay just outside.
In the wake of the baffling deaths, many troubling questions emerge. Why did three grown men succumb to the elements on a night when temperatures dipped only into the low 20s F? How could Willis be oblivious to the fact that his friends were in mortal danger just steps from his home?
As family members grieved, they grew increasingly suspicious of Willis' account. David Harrington's girlfriend believes Willis knows more than he's admitting. Ricky Johnson's brother is convinced drugs must have been involved for all three healthy men to perish that night.
“I don’t like to speculate very much,” Johnson’s brother, Jonathan Price told News Nation. “But my brother was a smart man, and there’s no way that he would just freeze to death. Freezing to death is not a cause of death that I would accept.”
Meanwhile, Willis has lawyered up, moved out of the house, and scrubbed his social media. If he has nothing to hide, why is he acting so guilty?
A Football Watch Party That Turned Deadly
Authorities initially labeled the deaths accidental, claiming no signs of foul play. But the victims' families and friends are demanding a more thorough investigation.
What exactly happened at that football watch party to leave three guests stone cold dead by morning? At this point, Jordan Willis may be the only person who knows the truth. Unless the autopsy results produce new evidence, we may never find out why those diehard Chiefs fans never made it home.
"This man [redacted] was inside his home alive while my friends were dead in his yard for lord knows how long. They were all hanging out since after the game Sunday. He KNEW people were looking for them," wrote Kaylee La Tier on Facebook. "He read messages of people searching for him on Tuesday. My husband banged on his door for 20 min. My friend banged on his door and then busted a window and yelled and announced her presence while she’s inside and still nothing from him?? Then the cops come 10 min later and he comes out nonchalant in his boxers with an empty wine glass in hand??!"
This case contains plenty more twists and contradicting accounts. But one thing is chillingly clear — something sinister lurked inside that unassuming Kansas City house the night three vibrant men's lives were cut devastatingly short.
Timeline of the Kansas City Freezer Deaths
January 7, 2023
- 3:25 PM: Ricky Johnson, Clayton McGeeney, David Harrington, and another unnamed man arrive at Jordan Willis' home to watch the Kansas City Chiefs playoff game.
- Night: At some point, Willis goes to sleep, leaving the men downstairs. Their cars remain parked outside on the street.
January 8, 2023
- Willis claims he never left his home and did not notice the vehicles belonging to his friends still parked outside.
- Worried loved ones of the missing men try reaching out to Willis, but receive no response.
January 9, 2023
- Afternoon: Clayton McGeeney's fiancée goes to Willis' home looking for him after not hearing from him for two days. Getting no answer, she breaks in through a basement window, yelling out.
- 9:51 PM: Police perform a welfare check and discover the three men's bodies outside. Willis emerges from the home in his boxers acting unconcerned.
Relevant Background on Jordan Willis:
- In 2022, Willis won an award for his HIV vaccine research contributions. His now-deleted social media pages described him as "the funnest guy in the room" and a "self-proclaimed man-about-town."
- On January 9th, police stated the case was "100% NOT being investigated as a homicide." No arrests have been made.